Finally, a Senator with balls. This week, Virginia Senator Janet Howell tried to bring some equality to the battle for a woman’s domain over her own body. The conservative representatives of the people of Virginia proposed a bill which would mandate an ultrasound for every woman seeking an abortion. Howell added an amendment to the bill–men seeking prescriptions for erectile dysfunction medicine would be required to get a rectal exam and a cardiac stress test!
As Howell and the rest of us might have expected, her amendment didn’t pass. Now a woman who chooses an abortion must be forced to pay for and receive an ultrasound before getting an abortion. Men have no restrictions on what they can do with their body–there are no laws that legislate men in the fashion that women are subjected to laws. Well, there may be a few laws prohibiting sex with livestock out there somewhere, but you get my point. It’s antiquated.
Oh well. She got major media coverage on Huffington Post and we got to revel even momentarily in the thought of men being subjected to a rectal exam in order to get their groove on! They get ED meds covered by most prescription plans and we still struggle for the basic rights to get birth control, breast exams and the right to determine control over our own bodies. In a day where the battle to provide for women’s health got a little tougher, thanks to politics and the Susan Komen Foundation, this story was a pleasant diversion. I can just see all those staunch men cringing and puckering as she proposed her amendment.
I’m not advocating abortion, I believe it’s a choice a woman and her partner should have the right to decide, in private. I’m pro-choice, but I’m also pro-life. Having never been in a position where I needed to contemplate abortion, I don’t believe it’s my place to pass judgment, much less force additional hurdles in an already emotionally charged time in a woman’s life.
Women are seeing their rights being eroded bit by bit by the conservative Christian movement in this country. It’s scary. I want politicians to leave my body alone and to keep their religious beliefs in church and the home where it belongs and out of the public forum.
So, guys… I know you’re there and reading. I want your opinion on yesterday’s post, and so do my other 10 readers!
Let’s pretend that you have erectile dysfunction and you’ve started taking Cialis or Levitra (they have longer lasting effects than Viagra so are more suited for this conversation). You’re medicated and suddenly something romantic happens- pretending that you need something romantic to get your mojo stirring- and you feel that surge. Are you going to suggest a bath in twin tubs, or a walk in the woods?
What would a man in this situation be most likely to do?
I’m a freelancer and often experience the frustration of finding my bid rejected in favor of a much lower bid. Much…. I’ve been undercut by people who are willing to work for $5 an hour. Just recently I got a job, over many less experienced and less ‘valued’ people. The first order went well and I’m doing a second job for these people. In thinking about this as a guest post it occurs to me that the same hold true for dating.
So often in the Alice in Wonderland world of online dating I’ve come across men seeking women considerably younger- like a 55 year old looking for women from ages 18-35. Or educated men who state their ideal woman has (only!) a high school education. I’m over 50 and have a Master’s degree-so this always puzzled and irritated me. Though I’m not really going to hold much in common with a man who wants to date 18 year old high school grads. Nor want to either.
Why I’m worth it and you won’t regret it:
- I’m not living at home with my parents and have a driver’s license… I can drive to your house.
- I’m old enough to order a drink at the bar.
- If your equipment fails I’m not going to flip out and run away.
- If your equipment fails I know how to tease and entice that little baby into new life.
- And, if it ain’t happening, I’ll figure out what else to do to you. Or show you what to do to me….
- You wanna do it twice and need a little recovery time? I can wait, I can even make conversation while we wait.
- We probably have topics to talk about other than Lady Gaga’s latest outfit.
- We could be seen in public without embarrassing each other. No goth, no tats, no piercings.
- I know what I want in bed and I know how to satisfy you.
- We have enough in common to share a good time that doesn’t involve nakedness and sex.
- I know to listen, and to make conversation. It’s not ‘all about me’.
- I’m not going to get possessive or demanding or try to boil your pet rabbit.
- To quote Willie Nelson, “she could suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch”.
Those of us with a little maturity are seasoned…we’re also sexy and sensuous as well as emotionally stable. So, the next time some guy, your guy, starts to ogle a sweet young thing with pert tits and a vacant look in her eye, share your list of assets with him. And, if he still wanders off….his loss.
Why are you worth it?